Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Naval Ship Tour

So apparently the 30 year old guy in the white naval uniform with 3 stripes that I sauntered up to and asked for a tour of the boat was the captain! I know how to pick them, eh?? 

We had a GREAT tour of the naval boat, very interesting for the kids (heck, it was very interesting for me!!). Three families from cruising boats went. We took pictures and asked tons of questions. They were so friendly and hospitable and open with us, it was nice. They didn't seem put out by us spending hours of their morning the day of their departure. The captain gave us most of the tour himself. 

After the tour, I went home and made cookies for them. They leave at 13:00 hours and it was 11:00 when we got home. I started as fast as I could, they had 66 people onboard (and we have 9 hungry bodies here), so I made a triple batch. I just finally had 75 cookies ready to go at 12:45. We wrapped them in plates and plastic and loaded into the dinghy. They ship had their ramps up, dinghy's loaded, and were pulling up the chain. A man in the pilot house pointed to the back of the boat, so we went back where some officers met us. It was still too high for me to hand up. They tried to reach down with no success. Finally deciding to lower a bucket. They were NOT about to leave without the cookies. They sent down the bucket and we loaded them up. Hopefully they each get one and have a nice trip. After 10 weeks out, they are heading home to Aukland. They will be at sea for another week or so doing tasks en route. 

Now I need to get to shore, for some reason I'm out of eggs, butter and sugar.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment