Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 7 at Sea -


Looks like we should be there in another 13 days. So those who guessed around 20 days should be feeling pretty good right about now. This is typically thought of as a 25 to 30 day passage. Depending on wind and how much stuff breaks.  As you may have noticed we were flying this morning around 10 and 11 knots.  We are now doing about 6 knots with wind of about 10 knots.  So this is the first time we have actually pounded. The main problem is the sea state.  We are sailing at an angle where the bigger waves are hitting us broadside.  So sometimes the boat straddles the wave, and the top of the wave tries to lift the boat using the wing deck.  This is a different sensation than I am used to!  You can actually feel the floor flex where the wave is hitting it.  Obviously the boat is designed for this, but sometimes it wakes you up with a start!!

More squid and flying fish landed on the deck. Now my question is this: Why will nobody help me eat the squid? Does it fall under the same stigma as road kill?  I mean nobody would help me eat that either!  Oh that does remind me, it is time to put the lure back out.  Just today we ate the last of that giant tuna!  We have had it every day for the last week.

The children never seem to get sea sick, and Shannon and I have finally gotten our sea legs.  Strong unpleasant smells still do cause problems though for me.  So I had to outlaw Valiant taking the dead fish to bed with himself. (Especially if he wants to cuddle in the morning!!)

We are still leading the race, but the other boats are still close, some less than 100 miles behind.

Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment