Sunday, September 28, 2014

And We Are Off -

So, to start with Shannon, Cassidy, Wolfie, and I headed out to get some fish for the goodbye party!  We had both the spear gun and the Hawaiian-sling. Typically I do not hunt for fish outside the lagoon due to size and number of sharks. But it was a beautiful day, the water was clear, and the sharks filled the pass, so we drifted out to the outer reef! I finally managed to catch a good-sized parrotfish, and was quite pleased that I managed to get it in the dingy before a feeding frenzy started. I then gave Cassidy the spear gun, and told her we could use one more small fish.  Shortly thereafter we spotted a school of Jack Cavallas. They were beautiful iridescent blue and silver and about 3 feet long.  Cassidy and I split up with Cassidy going on one side of the school me on the other side and the reef to the fishes back. They had to swim past us to get out. We were able to swim very close and Cassidy shot and hit a BIG one! And the fight was on. I popped my head out of the water and hollered for Shannon to bring the dingy over, then dove down to see if I could get my spear into the beast!  He pulled Cassidy and went into the rocks. Next thing I knew he was off the spear and the spear was bent at a crazy angle. I called Shannon and let her know the fish got away. Then I straightened the spear against my knee to an angle that I could force back into the gun. By the time I had the gun loaded again Cassidy had found the fish, and a shark was trying to catch it. The Jack was moving a lot slower this time and I was able to hit him with a kill shot to the head. Another holler went up for Shannon to bring the dingy, and the wait started!  Me with the fish and Cassidy fending off any would-be sharks with the Hawaiian-sling.  Not my favorite time in the water!!!  Fortunately all went well and the whole fish made it into the dingy, with all of us shortly after. Talk about an adventure!!

The local guy and another boat went out to try their luck after, but had shark problems!  A shark bit the first big fish they caught.  Unfortunately though for the shark he bit the spear also and got stuck. All his shark buddies then came along and ate both the shark and the fish. The guy who speared the fish just let go of everything and swam away to watch the proceedings from a distance.

We have been sailing for the last couple of days and it has been sloppy!  Most everyone threw up once or twice a day.  I even broke down and asked Shannon where the anti-seasickness pills were.  (And I have never before done that).  Her directions were minimal, but I found a bottle about where she described.  It did not help at all, and next time I am going to actually read the label to confirm what I am taking before I take anything.  Needless to say it wasn't anti-seasickness pills!!!!

Things have stabilized now, and we are sailing nicely with a double-reefed main and the Genoa.  Hoping to make landfall tomorrow!!!

Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment