Thursday, June 19, 2014

Exploring Atolls

We plan on doing one or two more atolls before making the leap to Tahiti. Our plan is to be there by the end of this month. Our list of repairs for Tahiti keeps growing. Currently we are planning on replacing the track on the mast with something that is strong enough to withstand normal sailing without the mainsail popping off, get SailMail functioning again. Then of course we are going to need a new propeller, get the rudder straightened and rebuilt, fix the gaping wound in the hull, and most importantly have a fantastic time doing it all. The current thought is that if we have brownies and ice cream every day, all repairs are going to go super well! Shannon though has advised me that I should plan on having everything completed within 6 days, or I am going to have to face working without brownies! Who knew? Apparently we do not have an endless supply of brownies! I knew I should have been more involved in the shopping!

So there I was wandering around this tropical island ('course when you are in the tropics everything is tropical), when I met this Tuamotu woman (Tuamotun) and I asked, "When is dry season?" Apparently June is. It never rains in June, except for this year. We get rain/wind squalls coming through a couple of times a day! I am hearing rumors of this being an El Nino year. Is anybody able to see if that is the case?

Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment