Friday, March 29, 2013

Newport Beach, CA to Cabo, Mexico


It has been about a week and a half since we left and already so much has happened!  Just yesterday morning, I was jolted awake from a whale hitting our boat.  All’s well though, whale swam away un-harmed and the boat doesn’t have any new leaks - so I’ll take that as a good sign.  Let’s slow down and start off with the first week at sea.  March 19-20 were clear crystal calm waters, a perfect time to climb on top of the newly installed (thanks to the Winter Boys) dinghy davit and put in the windmills.  The next 4-5 days were beautiful, down wind, spinnaker days with lots of attempts of fishing. Finally seeing land on March 23rd, we first headed to Bahia Santa Maria, Seeing how the waves were too big to get past, the next morning we headed for Magdalena Bay.  We spent the next 2-3 days there exploring the mangrove mazes on the paddle boards and kayaks.  The water there, although a little chilly, was amazing! It was so shallow I could almost walk to the boat.  It was also so clear that we could see all the stingrays, halibut, and lots of other creatures at the bottom.  One day there was even an adolescent whale that was playing right behind the boat. 
We left for Cabo on Tuesday the 26th.  And arrived yesterday morning(28th).  During our one day of being out at sea we spotted several turtles & whales (running into one of them), installed the solar panels, and on the night of the 27th we even caught a humbolt squid about the length of my arm with the tentacles stretched.  I pulled it in on Uncle Loyal’s cork lure after noticing a glowing figure trailing behind us in the water. 
We have been anchored right in front of about half a dozen bars that blast their music through the day and into the night.  Being Easter weekend there is a lot of activity going on shore.   This morning we have encountered a lot of little sea creatures.  I was woken up to the children screaming about catching a sea horse.  Apparently it was clinging to the kayak rope and as soon as we let him go again he went right back to where they found him.  Courage somehow captured a puffer fish on his way back from the shore and brought it back to show the rest of the family.  There were many stinging jellyfish in the water this morning, so sadly we couldn’t go swimming. 
I have officially been titled as skipper and navigator. Yay me!  On the down side, I have many bruises and cuts that I have no idea where or when I got them, but that’s just one of the perks of living the boat life.  I haven’t showered for weeks and can slowly feel myself deteriorating.  It is also my little sisters 5th birthday tomorrow, and I won’t get to be there for her hello kitty viesta.  So happy birthday Keena!  Missing you land folk like crazy! Lots of love
 -Cassidy ~(^-^)~

No comments:

Post a Comment